Thursday, November 8, 2012

the battle axes...

I have been looking at old family photos {which my Grandmother used to call the battle axes} recently and have been inspired to create these little images on old envelopes.  I have been collecting  old letters, stamps and envelopes for a while... some dated from as early as 1880's up to 1950's.  I just love drawing and painting on the old paper, it is so soft.  I have kept some of the really old ones and am not sure whether I will draw on them or not?  


Some of the old  photos were printed as postcards and there are quite a few that are faded so I am endeavoring to incorporate that feeling in these pieces.
 

{my grandmother is the little girl sitting on her mother's lap... apparently I looked exactly like she did when I was younger}


9 comments:

Lisa Graham Art said...

These envelops are so special. I love looking at old photos too and they always inspire me to paint.

Lieliefee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lie-Lie said...

So lovely!

Jen said...

Oh wow... these are fabulous! I love your drawings on these timepieces - they are amazing.

I wonder if you could reproduce the really old ones (scan them in / print out) so you can preserve the originals and still have the opportunity to create a new masterpiece from them?

BTW, I just found your blog and it is gorgeous!

Jen said...

Oh wow... these are fabulous! I love your drawings on these timepieces - they are amazing.

I wonder if you could reproduce the really old ones (scan them in / print out) so you can preserve the originals and still have the opportunity to create a new masterpiece from them?

BTW, I just found your blog and it is gorgeous!

Shelley Whiting said...

Your paintings are very soft and delicate. Beautiful and dreamy artwork.

Karla B aka Lady Skyclad said...

This is lovely!Greetings from Brazil!

Angela said...

I really like your drawings/paintings on the old envelopes. It gives them even more meaning because of their history!

I love your blog!

Regards from Holland (The Netherlands)
Angela

Art by An

Kate Upton said...

The white noise app has been designed to help you get to sleep more quickly, and to help you to stay asleep for longer.