Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Thoughts at the time of making

a recent page from my workbook...
(click image to get a readable view)

When I forgot I left my bag by the car one morning and ran over it as I backed down the driveway, dragging it along with the car out onto the street and then drove off to work leaving it lying on the road... The thing I was upset about loosing most was my workbook. The other things like credit card, bank card etc... although annoying could be replaced. But my precious workbook I could never replace.

I have about 5 of them now since I was told at art school we had to have one. I was reluctant at first as I didn't know what to write or draw and felt very self conscious about the whole thing. But as time has gone by I have become fond of my workbooks and quite reliant on them. They have all my experiments, good and bad, my findings, and my thoughts at the time of making. I love flicking back through old ones and often get ideas for new works from them and it is good to see how my girls have developed over the years.

I think the process of this blog has been the same really, when I first started a year ago I was a bit unsure of what to write exactly... but now it has become easier. Although a few days ago I had someone say they had just discovered my blog and had read through the posts. I suddenly thought oh how embarrassing... but I think it is all part of the process, I need those first posts (workbooks) as a measure of how far I have grown creatively. A bit like photo albums and height charts... (although my height charts aren't that interesting as I don't think I grew much after 13)?

p.s For those that were wondering, a kind neighbour rescued my bag from the road and returned it that afternoon.

7 comments:

Lisa Lectura Creations said...

Hi Katherine! Your art & blog are lovely! I know exactly how you feel with earlier posts. I still look back from time to time and find how different my art was from the beginning.

Thanks for coming to visit! Have a wonderful week!

Creative Blessings,
Lisa :)

erin carver said...

Hi Katherine,
What a gorgeous workbook page! Made me smile reading your comments about early blog posts... eek that is me now! I'm sure I will feel exactly the same about these early first steps...thanks for reminding me what an important part of the journey they are. Hope you're having a great week and keeping warm!
Erin x

lilylovekin said...

I loved seeing your work book page.I thought you just painted a picture. I didn't realize that it had a plan to it and thoughts and words around it. It is very much a process something more then just paint and paper isn't it?

Art by Darla Kay said...

Wonderful post, loved seeing your worksheet and thought process :)
Your blog is lovely!
Darla

Tara @ Aquamarine Art said...

I felt the same about my sketchbooks; we were told to keep them at school and it felt a bit forced and weird at first. Now I LOVE having one and am always rushing to stick down a new idea in it! I just started an art journalling course too which has really opened my eyes to the possibilities for self expression.
Anyway, I love your blog and your work and am getting increasingly excited about my imminent arrival! x

Jo Wholohan said...

your art is lovely, very unique... xx

Tara @ Aquamarine Art said...

Me again! My painting hasn't arrived yet but getting more excited by the day! Have also tagged you, but of course no obligation to do it! x