Saturday, February 6, 2010

I just want you to know who I am...

(I just want you to know who I am)

I have been a bit worried... I thought that little creative part of my brain was dying (I worry about this quite often) and I was getting quite frustrated with myself.  But now I feel that familiar feeling running through me again, and this makes me smile to myself.  The more I think about it the more I realise that I have to have times where that frantic creative flow ebbs away for a while, otherwise my brain would probably explode.

I think it is also important to understand the way we work, to know these rhythms and to trust them.  To not give ourselves a hard time when things are going wrong, to listen to that inner voice and give ourselves the time we need to be ready for the next stage... whatever that may be.  

As I write this I am glad my children are sound sleepers because I am singing loudly (really loudly) to Kate Rusby, I need to do that sometimes, it helps the creative flow.

13 comments:

Tara @ Aquamarine Art said...

I get exactly the same, but like you I've learned that the quieter 'non creative' periods aren't something to be worried about. The muse always comes back! And probably something very important is going on underneath the surface in the meantime....
I LOVE this girl's dress! So much.x

ale said...

ola catherine!! that is part of the life...but you have to be sure that your art makes our hearts smile !!!besos!!and have a beautifull weekend!!!!

Carola Zajdman said...

Taht feeling sounds me familiar !! thanks God you´re not the only one going trough these periods !
Love your so beautiful work !!!

softearthart said...

Oh Katherine, what a lovely girl, the map is so, so cool. It is great to listen to that inner voice, it has been a bit quiet on Etsy ,and I could not work it out, but I was busy doing "Other" things,Now I realize that for me it was all about "connecting" and that this involved doing all those "other" things. So I just needed to listen. All is well. Cheers Marie

juliaD said...

Love the new eye thing..and the map of New Zealand... Fab/wow & Great!!....xxx....julia

chrissy said...

thank you so much for sharing this!
it is so nice to know that we "all" go through these times every now and then!
i think you are soooo stinkin creative and i just love your work.
it makes me smile every time i see it.
keep singing loud.
it.s VERY good for the soul.
xoxoxo

Daniel said...

Another great piece!

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

It seems to be a familiar companion on the artist's trail.

Your work is beautiful. I've just discovered you via Chrissy from cul*ti*vate

Jenny said...

Oh wise words indeed!! Love your new piece... and singing out loud is wonderful, I need to do that too sometimes.
Jenny x

stickytiki said...

LOVE IT!!! And I know I feel like that often :)

Sleepandhersisters said...

Thanks, it is nice to know I am not the only one with these thoughts that seem to plague me.
x

Karyn said...

I love the inclusion of the map on this painting! V cool.

hazelnutcottage said...

that is so hilarious (the part about your creative brain dying) because i think this secretly to myself more often than i want to admit. HAH! there are other out there... :) great blog! lovely art! yum! i'll be back!

:0 jan
hazelnut cottage