One of the things on my to do list was to try a few new mediums including the Golden clear tar gel, which I have tried before, but not with the two Golden fluid acrylic colours that you add to make the encaustic look... the two colours that you add are 'quinacridone/nickel azo gold' and 'interference blue'. I added half a drop of the first colour and two of the second to about 1/4 cup of tar gel... I brushed it on the bottom pale green part of this background above and it gave a yellowy waxy look to the paint. Next I am going to try and add more detail to the background before I brush on the tar gel mix.
On the top part I tried a one part crackle medium (this is something I am sure many of you have tried but I have never given it a go, until now)... I first did a coat of thin white paint over a patterned paper and then brushed on the crackle medium (the thicker the medium the bigger the cracks). As it was drying red tones from the patterned paper started coming through. Must be some kind of chemical reaction with the medium and the red ink that the paper was printed with. I brushed another layer of paint on top to try and cover the pinky colour but it didn't really work. So although this is not what I was wanting for this piece it does have potential. I think the crackle medium might be best used on patterned paper that doesn't have any red ink in the design.
We have school holidays coming up soon so I will try a few more ideas with these two mediums and let you know how I get on. I might also focus on a few experiments after my exhibition is finished.
A friend from work gave me this sweet little badge for my birthday... from now on at work it can get a little hairy with students frantically trying to get ready for their end of year assessments and they often come into my storeroom wanting things asap... as in yesterday. So she thought this badge was just the right thing... so cute.