Wednesday, February 16, 2011

freaking out seems to suit me...



After reading the assignment for week 3 in my 'Get your paint on' class I started getting very excited at the prospect of using colour {I kind of have a problem with using colour} I then went to bed and completely freaked out...  and freaking out seems to suit me as several people told me the next day, I was looking good.  

So anyway we were to choose 4 colours from objects in your life and try to match the colors as accurately as possible by mixing your paints and incorporate them into your painting.  I chose red,  a lovely pale blue, charcoal and white... I don't think I got the blue quite right in hindsight {might need a tinge of yellow}.  I started with a cerulean blue background and quickly painted over with my pale blue mix leaving a bit of the bright blue peaking through to give my background a little noise.  I then painted the tent mixing a red {that matched my handbag} and the doily printed foreground, added the trees, bunting, the clouds and a few other details.

I am rather shocked, it was not really what I was thinking when I started... the tent was going to be someones neck!!!  I am kind of liking this intuitive was of image making, it is like opening a present.


15 comments:

Micki Wilde said...

I love it Katherine!! It is gorgeous!!
I was only saying to Tara Leaver the other day that I wished I could work with pale colours as well as you, I love how light your work is!!

Hugs

Micki x

Michele from Pipi La La said...

Oh my god! This is AMAZING! Amazing!

You are so clever!

Do more. Wow!

Dale Parker said...

Love it! The bit of red really is a nice touch of color.

Tina Gilmore said...

Absolutely Gorgeous, as usual.

softearthart said...

Oh my, it is beautiful, cheers Marie

Jo Ashcroft said...

This is beautiful- any chance you would think of selling a print of it? I would buy it in an instant!

Nat said...

Katherine it is gorgeous! I love it! I agree, the red adds a something special...

Miriam said...

I love it too, that red really makes that painting.

danasparkle said...

love love it
*

tammy olson said...

What a wonderful painting. Your paintings always have a magical/mystical quality to them. Beautiful work.

SheCreates said...

I would love to sleep in that tent ...

Felicia said...

So, so lovely!!!

Marja's Stamp Addiction said...

Katherine, your work is very seperately and beautiful. And such a pale colours, fabulous.
Greetings from the Netherlands.
Marja

Katie said...

Hello from Arkansas!! Just wanted to stop by and say that your work is absolutely beautiful!! And I certainly would love to have a "freak-out" that looks as good as yours! I LOVE this painting, so very much. :)

Pam said...

I love this! Wow if that is what freaking out does, then freak on! ;)