Sunday, October 3, 2010

miscellaneous components...


Ben and I had fun the other day making these magnet characters...   I started collecting a whole lot of magnets and little bits of metal years ago, and to be honest, I was actually quite obsessed for a while.   I remember going into Mitre 10 Mega to have a look around and found a treasure trove of little metal bits.  One of the assistants came over to see if I needed help and asked what I was going to use the bits for.   I said "Oh nothing in particular... I've just gotta have them"  He said ok... and backed away.  So Mitre 10 Mega man I hope you read my blog and see that I am not a complete nutter.

It is amazing how a few little miscellaneous components when put together can become something quite wonderful.  It is the art of giving life to and therefore having feelings for inanimate objects.  Hannah was always a big one for doing this when she was younger, and even now at 17, as we looked at an old suitcase for $10... I said 'is that cool or a little too ratty', she decided it was the latter.  I said 'oh well' and started walking away, she stayed there looking at it and said 'oh now I feel sorry for it' and tried to talk me into buying it.... I didn't buy it, with her teenage brain she had forgotten all about it by the time we had gotten back into the car.

15 comments:

Micki Wilde said...

So sweet, love them!!
I love the comment about the suitcase too, I'm a bit like that, or at least I was until I worked in a charity shop and then everything was a bit too ratty lol :) It did take me a while to come round to throwing things out though, I felt sorry for everything ;)

Micki x

Kelly said...

I actually really love those little guys! So fun!
Love the suitcase story. Sounds like you have a budding artist on your hands!

Jenny said...

Oh how sweet...

Jenny x

Jacqueline said...

They are so adorable! It's amazing what we could make out of little things we collect! Have a lovely merry happy sunday and love to you!

jacqueline
http://jqlinesocuteithurts.typepad.com/

rachel awes said...

these are
magnets to
my heart,
who loves
to be
delighted!
xo

Unknown said...

Fun! The lil magnet guys are adorable. :)

♥Jenny

Effy Wild said...

The magnets are totally adorbz! I have been obsessed with many things, but not magnets. Yours could change all that for me. ;D

Unknown said...

These are just darling! I love seeing your creativity in whatever you do. so very sweeeet!

Anonymous said...

I love these little people! So cute. Everything you do is so imaginative!

I am the same! My car is a girl and I love her. We do not talk about more suuperior cars while driving with her or say bad things about her. I am the same with other things such as houses and toys in stores. Maybe I need to see someone!

MissMollyCoddle said...

What a great idea! I'm sure the suitcase went to a good home too!

Mandarine said...

I love them!!!very fun and very very great idea!!!wonderfulllll

juliaD said...

Oh yes you're a nutter!!!...get it - nuts & bolts...LOL..Yes, we all had a great time on Saturday, it is so inspiring geting together with other artists isn't it.....xx..julia

Anonymous said...

Those are absolutely adorable!

Jess said...

These are way too cute, and such a good project for the little ones... it's sure to get their creative juices flowing.

Pam said...

Oooh they are so cute! I have a tool box full of bits and pieces like that, I think I know what will be keeping (me) the kids occupied tonight!