Monday, May 7, 2012

3 good things and some bad news...


I thought it might be fun to wrap a few things and then draw them, so I half wrapped a walnut with some thread... from my drawings of the wrapped walnut they kind of turned into fish. The little cross on the outside of the circle was because I was mad at my connection point, the circle never joined perfectly. But that little cross became a part of my little motifs. I then experimented where I started the circle and the cross became a mouth or an eye. I like the cross as a mouth with a little the fish in his belly, like he is a bit naughty for eating the wee fish... which I think might have been his little brother.



I took these fish from above and used them to make the pattern below




Good things... 

1.  I have been having so much fun the last week with pattern design... seeing patterns in everyday items like walnuts and feijoas and then doing lots and lots of drawing from these discoveries which is leading to some interesting stuff {see above pictures}.


2.  I recently purchased a Intuos5 tablet and I can see it's going to be a valuable tool in my studio practice. 

3.  I have got together with a dear old friend {he is not old, we are old... if that makes sense}? and we are going to work together to design a website for me.  I am so super excited about this and will keep you updated!!!


The bad thing...

1.  My little pirate girls, garden bugs and steampunk girls didn't get accepted for the card company... they said they were not their style.  A small part of me had a feeling that they might be a bit left of what they would be after butthere was a large part of me that was hopeful that they might like them... oh well.

9 comments:

Micki Wilde said...

love the little fishy's, so cute and quirky!!

That card company must be pants then if they didn't accept your girl's I for one would love to see them on cards, I get so bored with the 'usual' card designs in shops.....you are obviously too good for them and something better will come along.

Hugs x

Unknown said...

Katherine,

Sorry to hear they didn't accept your work. I'm sure your disappointed, but they are super cute and your very talented and you will find someone who will love it and totally want to use them. This company just wasn't your "who". It will happen for you. And I love your little fish. I love how your walnut evolved to those little guys.

Shelly said...

Loving the good things and those freaking adorable fishies!
I hope you'll keep looking for the right fit for your work as greeting cards... finding the right market (or marketer) can be a challenge!

Nolwenn said...

I tend to see rejection as a new opportunity. It means that will be accepted by something/someone that is better for you.

I love your little fishes !

Tina Gilmore said...

I agree with Micki, something better is waiting for your talents. :) xx

Mel @ Wildflower said...

Oh dear, oh dear - he ate his brother? Not good at all! I love this journey of discovery you are having :)

Orin said...

There's so much competition for that kind of stuff and there are so many pre-arranged criteria, that if you aren't "their perfect" then you don't get in. But, heck, why try to make people like you any other way than you already are. I'm sure your kids are awesome.

Don't lose any sleep over it!

Poppy Q said...

We love your girls - I am sure so many people love them too. I think you should keep to your own style, it is a unique vision.

Julie Q

Katie said...

If I had a company, I would SO pick up your little pirates, bugs, and steampunk girls!! They are PRECIOUS!