Friday, November 21, 2008

Jewels

For a while now I have been trying to find a way to make some of my works into jewellery... well the other night I finally did it. I bought these glass gems a while ago and last week I found a source for some bails (the little silver thing that sits on the back of the piece and holds the chain). Then yesterday I discovered some glue (water based binder medium) that sticks the printed side of the picture to the glass. Most of the things I tried interfered with the ink on the printed image, would smudge it or make it go all see through .

So here is a pic of my new jewels... I wore them in town yesterday and got quite a few comments, one lady said to me "Oh they look like a Katherine Quinn picture" I said "they are thats me"!!!

I often see something in a shop or magazine and get these good ideas of something I can make. But more often then not I don't follow through with them and they end up as a scribbled thought in my work book. So this year that is going to be one of my new years resolutions... to follow through and try new ideas.

11 comments:

tangled sky studio said...

Katherine,
These are so sweet I have a feeling they may fly out of your shop if you can get them in for the holidays (hint, hint...). They look greatand though I will probably never need it I would love to know the name of the magic glue you found (i like to store away bits of crafting knowledge like that...)
beth

Sleepandhersisters said...

Hi Beth

I am not sure whether they are ready for my shop yet...? they need a bit of fine tuning on the back.

The glue was a chromacryl product (not sure if you get that in the states) and was just called binder medium.

Brenda said...

These are gorgeous. Too funny about the lady commenting - you are famous! Let 2009 be the year to follow our dreams.

Unknown said...

These are lovely Katherine. You're getting quite a name for yourself eh!

Guatyen said...

they are really nice and sweet.
i let ideas float in the head at not doing anything too, a good reminder for me. :)

Terri said...

These are so cute.

Carine b said...

It's so funny your story with this woman...& your necklace are so "Bijoutiful"(bijou is the name for jewels in french).Could we see other jewerlery by the way???Happy day and see you very soon!

Danita Art said...

Beautiful! I hope you keep your resolution. I'd love to see more work done by you! :)
Danita

Michele Maule said...

Those look great Katherine!!
What a funny story about the lady who told you that they looked like your work! :) I love things like that.

juliaD said...

Hi Katherine,
I am stopping in regularly now at your blog to see how your girls are going....and hear tales of NZ...I came from Rotorua some 35 years ago to Australia...and your work just takes me back..something about the colours you use I think???..
WOW, I loooove your jewellery...hope you will be selling them soon...I would like to make some too one day, when my "girls" are good enough...
Julia...xx

Dragana Savkov - Bajić said...

Beautiful! Your gorgeous girls are perfect for jewelery! I think you should seriously think about making jewelery!